Vigil held in Battle Ground for 3-year-old killed this week; about 250 people attend to pay respects, show their support for family

BATTLE GROUND — Roughly 250 people packed a Battle Ground neighborhood street Friday evening to pay their respects to Jose Castillo-Cisneros, an act the boy’s grandfather called a profound act of kindness.

Jose Castillo-Cisneros, nicknamed Pepe, was killed Monday night at his Battle Ground home.

Friends, family, neighbors and other well-wishers bearing candles gathered around the home — where friends and strangers had been adding flowers, stuffed animals and candles to an impromptu memorial — to remember Pepe and support the family.

The family has been moved by the outpouring of support, said Fernando Cisneros-Garcia, the boy’s maternal grandfather.

“They know the community is trying to help, the community is trying to do something for Pepe, for Pepe’s memory,” he said.

God, he said, has used the tragedy to open up peoples’ hearts to each other.

“The whole community is hurting. … The whole community is feeling the pain,” he said, apologizing for his English.

People are taking a break from their lives to reflect, he said, “to share with us, our pain. It’s just, I have no words.”

Court records say Pepe’s mother’s boyfriend, Ricardo Gutierrez, beat and stabbed the boy to death Monday evening. Gutierrez, 39, became enraged when the boy started crying over a movie he didn’t want to watch with his sister, court records said.

Read more here.

About Andy

Site owner, operator and MC.

This entry was posted in Reporting and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.